Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day Twelve

Friday March 23th, 2012
He is hurting this morning. wakes up at 6 and cant sleep cause of the pain. I ask the nurse for some meds for him and it takes 6 hrs and a shift change for someone to get him anything. Really pissed about that.
It is taking 4-5 pokes and 15 mins of screaming to get an IV started. I don't know how much more he can take. It is a terrible thing to watch. They are checking his blood every 4 hrs and he has band aids on every single finger now.

His blood clots too fast and most of the time they have to re poke him. I am really irritated, it seems like there should be a simpler way to do all of this. He is also starving and they will only give him ice chips for now. I don't like his nurse today she seems really insincere, her answers are text book ... robotic....rehearsed . I don't like her at all. I finally convince the her that something else needs to be done about the IVs and food situation.

After my hesitation, they decide to place a PICC line (a central line that goes from his arm all the way to the top of his heart.) I agree to it only if I can be there to talk him through it since he will be under a conscious sedation. They prep him for it, the Attending gives me the OK to stay but when the IV team comes they will not let me stay. I do wait till he is clearly out of it before I leave. I come back in 45 mins and he is screaming, and disoriented. I am really upset. They told me he would be fine, wouldn't know what was going on, wouldn't care that anything was happening. It was not the picture I expected when I returned. Kase told me later that he was crying because he was scared something bad was going to happen. He was terrified.

After the PICC line is placed they decide that they can care for him just the same on the surgical floor , over the next 10 hrs they reduce all stomach meds except Octritide, which is taken off slower then the other meds.
I did get to listen to rounds today I learn that he had a arterial bleed in his stomach, the ulcer had gotten so bad it grew into an artery. I don't understand why they didn't tell me that in the first place. It seems like the situation was much worst then the Dr in ST George had originally said. I don't know why they didn't just tell me that from the beginning.
They move us to the surgical floor in the evening and we stay up late laughing and talking. Justin left to St George to get Macie and McKai and bring them up to see Kase while he is feeling better. The room is much better on the surgical floor, lots of light, It feels happier here.

No comments: