Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day Eight

Monday March 19th, 2012
Woke up at 6:00, Kase has been puking and it is blood. Lots of blood. He is sitting up and hurting. He pukes again and his heart rate is racing. He throws up 700 cc's of blood which is an entire stomach full. The nurses look nervous and someone comes in and tells me that things are going to get really serious. That he is losing too much blood and a lot of people are going to be rushing around. I sit on the bed and send out a couple texts to my Mom, Dad and Justin and just watch. A couple of the clients are nurses to help. Nice to see familiar faces. The give him meds, call a code purple, rush blood over.
He is crawling out of his skin, scared, disoriented. He calls for me and I sit with him and rub his hair and hold his hand. The Dr comes in and decides that he needs another surgery. They decide to do a scope down his throat to find and cauterize the suspected ulcer. He is stabilized and I call Mom and cry. Tell her what happens and she has already got work off to watch the babies, (so soo so thankful for my Mom's help). Call Dad and call Justin. Then I go back in his room, wait and keep a close eye on him. I ride back to the other hospital and sit with him in the OR. I get to kiss and tell him good bye. They wheel him back do the surgery, remove his drain and add a PICC line. There are talks of life flight and heading to Primary Children's Hospital. Surgery takes about 85 mins. We are told everything went well but that to be safe they would like to fly Kase up to Primary's because the hospital doesn't have a PEDS ICU. 

They didn't even know if they would let him in the ICU here, so he sits in the recovery for as long as possible.We were able to at least see him for awhile in the recovery .  He is sleepy and pale. They had to give him more blood in surgery.
I had Justin go get the kids, so I could say good bye. Macie is having a really hard time, she just collapsed in my arms and bawled for 30 mins. She wants us home, wants Kase not sick. This is breaking my heart.
I go back in the ICU, he looks so worn out and skinny. For whatever reason they didn't start a PICC line like they said. There is a line started in his neck called a IJ Line. They have to pull it back and he screams and sobs for an hour.


The life flight team arrives and prepares him to leave, they have to transport us to the airport via Ambulance (ride #3)

 Kase sleeps threw most of it


 By 630pm we were on the plane flying up to primary's. He had great nurses on the fight they were s fun to talk to and keep my mind off of things. I ended up finally falling asleep for 30 mins and woke up just in time to see the city before we landed :)

We were tranported via ambulance (#4) to Primary Childrens Hospital
 
 We landed, he was settled in his room by 8:30. I listened to the drs talk about his condition and learn that the ulcer was a really large one that wasn't cauterized but clipped and took along time to to stop the bleeding. Not sure why the Dr didnt just tell me that in the first place??

The rest of the night was uneventful. Justin drove up through a snow storm to be with us, It took 6 hrs instead of 4 to get up there. I am so glad he is here, I am emotional and physically drained.

No comments: